The Acashic Database
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staples In Today's Meta

Go down

Staples In Today's Meta Empty Staples In Today's Meta

Post  AlphadiosThe2nd Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:42 pm

STAPLES IN TODAY'S META
Written by AlphadiosThe2nd

The metagame has been changing rapidly. And there's no say to how it'll become in time to come, though we can always predict it by looking at today's staples. Today's staples also determine today's metagame, and I'm here to give you an insight on what cards may be considered as staples in today's metagame. For those who don't know, staples are "basic need" cards that "can fit into nearly any deck with that civilization". Staples also exist in real life. For example, "staple foods" include rice, wheat, oats, barley and corn.
So I thereby present to you 60 of the cards most widely used in today's metagame - the Staples in Today's Meta.

THE LIGHT CIVILIZATION
Sol Galla, Halo Guardian
: 7.5/10.0 - This card works well in spell-based decks and is good against Fire Decks.
Pala Olesis, Morning Guardian : 9.0/10.0 - This is a perfect control/support card that actually comes with a Blocker, but it'll probably be targeted the next turn your opponent gets!
Magris, Vizier of Magnetism : 7.0/10.0 - Draw power + a solid body + just in time for Kizar, but you've always got Hulcus!
Mist Rias, Sonic Guardian : 7.5/10.0 - It's "hand advantage for field advantage" which is good draw power, but at deck-out times what's the point of drawing sooo much?
Phal Eega, Dawn Guardian : 9.0/10.0 - This guy started a whole new genre of decks (Phal Control) but isn't too versatile...
Petrova, Channeler of Suns : 9.0/10.0 - You get to power up a whole race, isn't that cool? And there's a lasting effect. But can EASILY be killed.
Holy Awe : 9.5/10.0 - The perfect tap engine, but Japan has released many new alternatives.
Diamond Cutter : 8.0/10.0 - Used to pwn, and still pwns, but Diamond Sword (a 3 mana Cutter with no changes - rating 10.0/10.0) has been released, so why not use it?
Sarius, Vizier of Suppression : 9.0/10.0 - A good 2-drop blocker.
Craze Valkyrie, the Drastic : 8.0/10.0 - Tap 2 on summon, so you get to get rid of your opponent's pesky blockers / finishers; but it's power falls short of Vise and it's effect only triggers once.
Jil Warka, Time Guardian : 8.5/10.0 - Craze Valkyrie effect on destruction packed with a decent 2500 power and blocker which is pretty ok.

THE WATER CIVILIZATION
Thrash Crawler
: -/10.0 - o.o
Energy Stream : 8.0/10.0 - Quite a good draw spell, but not too versatile.
Aqua Hulcus : 8.5/10.0 - THE draw creature. But it's so easy to be killed and there's no other use in it (except attacking and evolving).
Corile : 8.0/10.0 - You get to topdeck your opponent, but you've got MANY other choices (Shutrom OTK)
Hydro Hurricane : 9.0/10.0 - Pwned me too much that's it's not even funny. But it only works with Light and Darkness.
Spiral Gate : 10.0/10.0 - Removes anything except Alcadeias, Alphadios, Queen Alcadeias, Gigablizzard and la Saint Mother for only 2 mana.
Eureka Charger : 8.0/10.0 - At least you get mana and draw, but 4 is too much for me.
Crystal Paladin : 8.5/10.0 - Bouncing all blockers is nowhere near a simple effect to pull off!
Aqua Surfer : 8.0/10.0 - The creature version of Spiral Gate. But why can't anyone use King Tsunami? ^_^
Emeral : 8.5/10.0 - Distracts people. I once got distracted that I didn't even spot that Terror Pit and went on with Bombazar!
Angler Cluster : 9.5/10.0 - 6000 blocker in Pure Water draft. Can't get better than that.

THE DARKNESS CIVLIZATION
Locomotiver
: 7.0/10.0 - A good discard, but too overused and too easy to be killed. Though as discard it's creature version of Ghost Touch and even gives field advantage!
Terror Pit : 8.0/10.0 - Free kill, but overcosted.
Cranium Clamp : 9.5/10.0 - The second best discard spell and deadliest when you're topdecking or if you have your finishers in your hand.
Bloody Squito : -/10.0 - o.o
Mongrel Man : 7.5/10.0 - It's "hand advantage for grave advantage" this time which is good draw power, but once again at deck-out times what's the point of drawing sooo much?
Slash Charger : 10.0/10.0 - Broken because it's undercosted, mana advantage, free deck kill and mills opponent.
Corpse Charger : 8.5/10.0 - Return a creature and add a mana; you'll love it!
Horrid Worm : 8.0/10.0 - Mini Bolmeteus in the making!
Critical Blade : 8.5/10.0 - The 2-drop must-have spell for anti-blocker decks.
Propeller Mutant : 9.0/10.0 - You'd run this if you're discard-heavy and planning to do some field advantage at the same time.
Daidalos, General of Fury : 9.0/10.0 - Props to this in Darkness decks, since Darkness is famous for its many sacrificial creatures and on-destroy/destroy-support abilities.

THE FIRE CIVILIZATION
Rikabu's Screwdriver
: 8.5/10.0 - An excellent 2-drop ability, but there's always Brad. This card is a must-have for Blocker Destruction decks and rush decks.
Deadly Fighter Braid Claw : 8.0/10.0 - After so long, it's still the thing we love and use if we want to rush on turn 1.
Pyrofighter Magnus : 10.0/10.0 - Speed attacker, can't be killed on the spot, solid 3000 body and of one of the best races in Fire.
Bolmeteus Steel Dragon : 9.0/10.0 - Funny to see this finisher become a staple, but that's reality. You get rid of 2 shields and remove the chances of Triggering, together with a solid 7000.
Kooc Pollon : 8.5/10.0 - A cute 2-drop that can't be attacked is not even funny.
Twin-Cannon Skyterror : 8.0/10.0 - Here's a finisher people run more than 2 of; with speed attacker + double breaker + solid 7000 body + synergy with 2 Faerie Gift allows it to be summoned on a deadly turn 2 as a quick finisher!
Magmadragon Jagalzor : 10.0/10.0 - Any deck that needs speedy attacking will love this fat creature. If you don't run it in a Dragon or Aggressive fire deck, you can think again.
Apocalypse Vise : 9.5/10.0 - The biggest limited kill, it can get rid of about all your opponent's staples (in this context) or a finisher! Widely used as a rush/swarm/aggro control spell.
Searing Wave : 9.5/10.0 - It's a Blizzard of Spears that only kills opponent, kills below 3000 not 4000, has shield trigger, and sacrifices a shield.
Crimson Hammer : 8.0/10.0 - Kill about anything in early-game!
Blizzard of Spears : 9.5/10.0 - There's nothing better than destroy all below 4000, which may just kill everything. Widely used as a rush/swarm/aggro control spell.

THE NATURE CIVILIZATION
Bronze-Arm Tribe
: 9.5/10.0 - Flawless mana acceleration, but this guy just needs some power. Though undoubtedly the Nature Deck staple and the creature version of Faerie Life.
Quixotic Hero Swine Snout : 10.0/10.0 - The only 2-drop I've ever seen getting a 40,000 power; massive field advantage makes it a finisher.
Faerie Life : 9.0/10.0 - Add a mana? Use it! It's synergy with Essence Elf on turn 3 makes it one of the best spells you can find around.
Poisonous Mushroom : 8.5/10.0 - If you like Tribe, you might like this guy. Mushroom is essentially a Bronze-Arm Tribe costing 1 less but you lose hand advantage.
Essence Elf : 8.0/10.0 - Spell controls need this. Though it may not be neccessary for Phal controls yet, but if you run 4 Faerie Lifes and have the hand for casting them on turn 3, then use this guy.
Mana Nexus : 8.0/10.0 - Retrieving a shield from your mana zone is pretty good late-game, and if you've charged your Triggers you may find it an excellent addition to your deck.
Mighty Shouter : 7.0/10.0 - A charger-like creature. I can't say much about it.
Cryptic Totem : 9.5/10.0 - Prevents shield triggers on the whole, but there's Curse Totem, and for a 6-drop in a regular Pure Nature Deck I'd rather have Bliss Totem.
Terradragon Arque Delacerna : 8.0/10.0 - One of the best handguards you've seen, this guy will swing the field on turn 1 if you have 4 of it in your hand and your opponent uses Cosmic Darts and retrieves a Lost Soul!
Charmilia, the Enticer : 8.0/10.0 - Essentially a reuseable Rumbling Terahorn, an alternative to your usual Magris, and a Snow Faerie (Snow Faeries are getting popular lately)!
Soulswap : 10.0/10.0 - The only spell that has ever taken out a Bajula for a Regarion, helps you return everything by swapping your Emeral for a Tsunami or even stopping Bombazar in its tracks!

MULTI-CIVILIZATION
Melnia, the Aqua Shadow : 10.0/10.0 - Unblockability and slayer for 2 mana is too cheap a discount. Say goodbye to your Candy Drop, Candy Cluster, Grinning Axe or Belbetphlo now!
Gonta, the Warrior Savage : 8.0/10.0 - I can't intepret this guy, but all I see is power and strong evo-bait for Valdios or Dual Fang.
Tajimal, Vizier of Aqua : 9.0/10.0 - A blocker that has potential 8000 against Fire and can attack creatures for 3 mana, together with a good race, is just too much.
Miraculous Plague : 8.5/10.0 - Surprised? The best removal around that swings 4 cards for only 7 mana, and actually is one of the rarer cards that burn mana!
Bombazar, Dragon of Destiny : 9.5/10.0 - It's one of the only finishers that incorporates so many effects in one that its supposed to be overpowered; and it's actually widely used before being banned in Japan.

As a draft, I will analyse the staples above:

MANA COST DRAFT:
1 []
2 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
3 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
4 [][][][][][][][][][]
5 [][][][][][][]
6 [][][][][][][][]
7 [][][][][]
8 []
RARITY DRAFT:
Super Rare 7
Very Rare 2
Rare 14
Uncommon 12
Common 25

That's all for today's article about the Staples In Today's Meta! Smile)

~AlphadiosThe2nd
AlphadiosThe2nd
AlphadiosThe2nd
xP
xP

Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2008-06-10

http://theacashicdatabase.forumexpress.org/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum